Anyone interested in helping support the work of the United Nations Association and promoting UN values here in the UK is welcome to join the UNA-UK. If you live in the London and South-East Region you will then be assigned to one of the local branches closest to your home.
If you wish to get involved with your local branch you need to apply to them separately as memberships of local branches are organised independently of membership of the UNA-UK.
Local branches in the London and South-East Region are as follows:-
- Bexhill and Hastings. Contact: Barbara Echlin, email@example.com
- Blackheath and Greenwich. Contact: Neville Grant, firstname.lastname@example.org, 020 8858 8489.
- Canterbury. Contact: Michael Vince, email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deal – The Deal Branch of the United Nations Association usually hosts three or four events a year, including an annual fundraiser, Hiroshima Day event, public meeting, film showing. Our events often attract local media coverage. We try to take part in the United Nations Service for World Peace, held annually in Canterbury. A recent event, which I would urge other branches to consider, was a showing of The Calais Children – a case to answer, about what happened to the children left behind when the Jungle was cleared. Contact: Pam Brivio (co-ordinator), email@example.com, 07772 471905 or 01304 225078.
- Eastbourne – Our branch has a small active membership and a healthy list of local supporters who are prepared to attend meetings, as well as local businesses who support our projects. Our local programme usually consists of talks with invited speakers on a range of environmental and human rights issues. Attendances vary between 25 and 40 on average. All meetings are open to the public and are held usually in the Town Hall, Eastbourne. Human Rights day is celebrated each year in the town centre which gives our branch the opportunity of publicising our presence in the community. Our branch is especially active in environmental work, particularly with respect to climate change, through its links with partners in Uganda. Our work there includes tree planting, workshops for nutrition, first aid training, and the supply of lifejackets for the fishing communities on Lake Victoria.See our website for details and how to support our projects. Contact: Ian Elgie, firstname.lastname@example.org, 07704 178011.
- Enfield and the Barnets. Contact Bill Linton, email@example.com 020 3105 1892.
- Finchley. Contact: Mrs Anna O’Meara, firstname.lastname@example.org, 020 8445 7119.
- Harpenden. Contact: Trevor Evans, email@example.com
- Merton -We have meetings and workshops on UN-related events and developments. In recent years, we have had sessions on the UN Charter and UN Reform; on aspects of Security (Human Security, Sustainable Security, Nuclear and General Disarmament); on aspects of Development (the Millennium Development Goals, the Millennium Villages, the UN Global Compact), on the Environment (Sustainable Development, Biodiversity, Climate Change) and on Human Rights – relevant to every issue.We fund-raise for UN-related causes including UNICEF, Refugees, and victims of man-made and natural disasters. Our chief fund-raising event is a Car Boot Sale in the summer at St Mary’s Field, Arthur Road, when the church make the field available.We lobby for political action to support the aims of the UN Charter (peace, justice and democratic governance for all).We co-sponsor a weekly Peace Vigil beside Wimbledon Library from 6:00-7:00 pm on Fridays. Contact: Alison Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org, 020 8944 0574.
- Streatham and Clapham Contact: Sarah Webster, email@example.com, 020 8769 5095.
- Sutton and Croydon Contact: Jas Weir, firstname.lastname@example.org, 020 8647 2462.
- Tunbridge Wells and Wealden Contact Julia Jarrod, email@example.com or Jane_Beeleyoutlook.com
- Twickenham and Richmond Members of UNA Twickenham & Richmond (TRUNA) are interested in the whole spectrum of UN concerns, with a current focus on:*The Middle East
*Issues relating to peace and conflict – from conflict prevention to arms control and nuclear weapons – are also major concerns for TRUNA members. While TRUNA does not normally campaign on these issues as a UN Association, individual members are often active in such campaigns. TRUNA also publicises the meetings of its nearest UNA-UK neighbour, UNA Wandsworth.TRUNA has for some time held meetings about three-four times a year at the Adelaide Pub in Teddington, but this pattern is changing. The best source of information is the TRUNA Newsletter (see below) and the TRUNA entry on the UNA-UK website: https://www.una.org.uk/branch/una-twickenham-and-richmond Contacts: Hilary Evans, firstname.lastname@example.org; Denis Wilmot, email@example.com.
- Wandsworth Wandsworth UNA has three public meetings each year, planning meetings, an annual religious service, summer and winter socials. We advertise our meetings locally by way of emails, the UNA website, our local SW15 website, friends and flyers. Details regarding Wandsworth UNA activities can also be found at https://www.una.org.uk/branch/una-wandsworth
Contact: Rob Storey firstname.lastname@example.org, 020 3072 0087 or 07776 356334; Meena Storey (Secretary), 020 3072 0087.
- Westminster –Westminster UNA flagship events include the conference and Cenotaph ceremony to mark the International Day of UN Peacekeepers; and International Law Lecture and We the Peoples Film Festival. We also have a Young Professionals group, details on the website. Contact: David Wardrop, email@example.com, 0207 385 6738; firstname.lastname@example.org
We also have the following university and Model UN branches:
- BPP University UNA, Contact: Sartaj Haque, email@example.com
- Brunel Model UN Society, Contact: Gupta Vedant, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Imperial College MUN, Contact: Nil Bozkurt, email@example.com
- Kent Model UN Society, Contact: Justin Koelman, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- King’s College London, Contact: Hong Chong Wen, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- London Metropolitan Model UN, Contact: Natasha Vale, firstname.lastname@example.org
- London School of Economics UN, Contact: Lina Jeffcock, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Queen Mary University Model UN, Contact: Evangelos Halatsis, email@example.com
- Regent’s University Model UN, Contact: K Fanning, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Royal Holloway Diplomatic and UN, Contact: Emily Williams, email@example.com
- SOAS UN Association, Contact: Siti Najiihan Fikri, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- University College London Model UN, Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Greenwich Model UN, Contact: Habib Diouga, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Westminster Model UN, Contact: Nicole El-Halou, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
To hear about events that are being held in the London and South-East Region and read some of the articles that are written about our work then please sign up to our newsletters.Like us on Facebook